Monday, August 9, 2010

Green here, green there, green everywhere

I don't think anyone I know is in the construction business, but here are some cool articles about green building and facilities practices.  The office building across the driveway from mine was built to be LEED-certified.  Our landlord is thinking about looking into maybe trying to retro-fit our building as LEED.  We will see.

There are only a few green roofs in Minneapolis.  I think the Minneapolis library is one and I think the Hennepin County Government Center has a little one too.  They seem to be such a smart way to have a little oasis in the city.  NYC has tons, from what I read.

CNN has an article about pollution-eating concrete.  I've previously shared in my Green Team newsletter a carbon-sequestering mineral (all the way to the bottom of the page) that was discovered in Oman, but this seems to have much more of a practical application.  If this is true and isn't astronomically expensive, it could be a miracle.

Finally, the 8200 Normandale Lake Blvd building right down the street from us was recently completed and is another LEED-certified building.  (It also has Parma 8200 which is FAB).   Lindsay Buck passed this article on to me about their ramp offering preferred parking to Eco-vehicles, hybrids, electric and the like.  What I would like to see also or instead is carpool parking.  You can drive the greenest car out there, but if it's still just you in the car...

No comments:

Post a Comment