Friday, October 22, 2010

Bird Brain

So I love birding. Most of my friends know and tolerate this weirdness. But as much as I like watching birds, I've never had a real bird feeder, just plates filled with birdseed on the deck. So on Wednesday I went to my local Wild Birds, Birds, Birds Everywhere Unlimited or whatever its called and bought myself a real birdfeeder.


Since I can’t really hang from or nail anything to the brand new siding on my deck, I needed to get a feeder I could put on a table. Who knew there were so many kinds of birdfeeders? At first I thought I would just take a few snaps and have my mom make me another ghetto item from her woodshop, and I may still do that. But I decided to be a big girl and buy one too.

There are some very elaborate ones, with porches and night lights and others that are like squirrel-proof or some bullshit. Last week I would have scoffed at these as too fancy. HOWEVER. Last Thursday, Fatty and I noticed at nearly the exact same moment as we watched NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams on TV, there was a GODDAMN SQUIRREL ON THE DECK! How did a GD squirrel get on the THIRD FLOOR deck, you ask? I asked it too. It seems that my horrible neighbors with the awful screaming children and the ugly barking naked dog have allowed their tree to grow so much that the GD squirrels can now leap from the branches on to my deck. I’m not quite sure what I am going to do about this, but it will be broughten.

ANYWAY, back to birdfeeders. I looked at them all and I landed on a small Hanging Tray. Makes sense, right? It’s a tray, with no top, that can be set on the table and I can remove the little hanger thingers. Best of all? Made in the USA from 98% recycled materials!!

On to birdseed. They advertised a kind of seed that squirrels don’t like. Sold.

By the time I got home it was dark, so I put the feeder and seed out on the deck and hoped for the best. 


I went home at lunch today and saw birds on my new feeder! Three chickadees!  SUCCESS!!  And no squirrels. 


No comments:

Post a Comment